Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lets Learn Chinese



I can imagine this system of individual tuition probably works better that "Chinese by radio" lessons over shortwave from China Radio International. You can learn all kinds of languages on line. It reminds me of the old days when international broadcasting was full of stations trying to teach you their respective languages. The largest by far was the BBC. I see that a lot of the English By Radio material that used to be broadcast by the BBC World Service and its language departments has all be consolidated into a special BBC website these days.

Final note: I think the choice of music on the advert above was random. I recognise it as a variation on "The Holly and the Ivy" performed by George Winston on his December album. That goes way back to 1982 - one of the first CD's I bought. Does it fit? No.

2 comments:

Michelle Zhou said...

Online learning is the new thing for languages, which makes sense considering how cheap and easy it is to deliver audio nowadays - this drastically increases the amount of input that can be given.

A good new site I think (for learning Mandarin) is www.zhongwenred.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm going to that website now. I think it might be a good way for me to learn! Now, if only they had that for all uni courses!

ShareThis